Friday, May 17, 2013

Love and Let Go(d)

So I finished my first newsletter and although I tried to highlight some important moments from the past 8 months, I realized that I should be blogging a LOT more, because I have a lot to write about.  I'm posting the newsletter below for those who want to take a peek, but here are the most recent developments.

School is almost out, and I'm preparing for a trip home to visit family, attend a friend's wedding and my class reunion and annual conference, and speak at a few churches.  Things are a little hectic to say the least.  The story I want to share is about what I consider my first loss (Don't worry; it's a good loss).

There was a young woman here that I formed a very sincere connection with in my first 6 months on the job.  I don't know if it was our similar interests, our mutual respect for each other, or God's plan for us to help each other, but she was special.  She had energy, a smile that lit up the room, and a heart of gold.  Keep in mind, she had some issues to deal with, but we all do.  One not so great day, I was telling a co-worker how much I was hurting from learning about losses of two family members at home, and she suggested that I go find this girl and hang out.  I always think of myself as the giver, not the receiver, but I realized that I needed my share of help, too.  I followed her advice, and it did make my afternoon better.

She completed her time at Murphy-Harpst a couple of months ago, and I struggled a LOT seeing her go.  I was worried about how her family would deal with her tantrums, could they forgive things in her past, and would they help her become the brilliant woman that I envisioned for her future?  I received phone calls in the first week she was gone about how much she didn't like it there and didn't like her family.  I knew she was struggling with the transition, but I prayed that it was only the transition that was hard.  A few weeks later, I had a message from her cheerful voice announcing that she had made the high school track team.  She was so excited, but sorry she hadn't called earlier.  she said she'd been so busy!  I was overcome with joy that she had found her new place.  She had settled in, and it was time for her life to continue.

I haven't heard much in the last month, which I'm taking as no news is good news.  I didn't know how I was going to move on, and I don't think she ever realized that some days I needed her as much as she needed me.  I have to trust that God will take care of her now.  There are more kids coming in, and of course, I have some special bonds with a few, but she'll always be the first - the one who taught me how to love and let Go(d).

May Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment